Homes evacuated and bomb squad called in after ‘grenade’ found in house

Homes were evacuated and a street cordoned off in Salford, Greater Manchester, as bomb disposal experts were brought in over fears that there was a grenade in a house

Homes were evacuated after police discovered what was feared to be a grenade inside a house in Greater Manchester.

Bomb disposal experts later attended the scene to make an assessment of the device and declared it was “not viable”, police said.

The alert sparked an evacuation in Swinton, Salford, reported the Manchester Evening News.

Emergencies services were at the scene on New Street, Swinton – including four fire engines.

The road runs off the busy A666 Bolton Road, which has been closed as a result between Pendlebury Road and Bridge Street.

A Royal Logistics Corps bomb disposal team is understood to have attended.

Greater Manchester Police reportedly said the incident arose following a 999 call reporting concerns for the welfare of a man.

Officers attended a property on New Street as a result and after locating the man, discovered what the force described as a “possible grenade” inside.

No further details have been released.

A cordon was established, although its not known how many properties have been evacuated.

In a statement, Greater Manchester Police reportedly said: “Police responding to a report of concern for the welfare of a man attended a property around 8pm this evening November 1, on New Street, Swinton.

“Officers attended and located the man and following enquiries a possible grenade was uncovered at the property.

“A cordon is in place and properties have been evacuated as a precaution.

“Bomb disposal officers are due to attend to make an assessment of the device.”

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) said: “Just after 8pm today (1 November) firefighters were called to a property on New Street, Swinton.

“Four fire engines from Agecroft, Salford and Whitefield stations arrived quickly and worked alongside colleagues at Greater Manchester Police to evacuate a number of properties and close nearby roads. GMFRS remain at the scene.”